Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)
September 30, 2020
Northeastern University is providing emergency grants to eligible students from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF), under the CARES Act, to support our learners who have been adversely impacted by COVID-19 campus disruptions. To promote transparency and comply with Section 18004(e) of the CARES Act, we are providing the following public information:
- Northeastern University signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on April 16, 2020. Northeastern has used or will use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that Northeastern University received from the Department for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students is $5,824,407.
- The total amount of the Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is $5,429,308 as of September 30, 2020.
- The estimated total number of Northeastern students eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 22,099.
- A total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 2,082 as of September 30, 2020.
- Northeastern determined which students would receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants based upon the CARES Grant application and verification of Title IV aid eligibility. To determine award amounts, the university instituted upper limits for some expense categories as well as an aggregate individual grant limit of $6,195 as recommended by the Department of Education. The university also considered financial support applicants have or will receive.
- On April 24, all students were notified via email that Northeastern would receive and distribute Emergency Financial Aid Grants under the CARES Act. Students were directed to the FAQ page for further information and a link to the online application. Upon submission of the application, students were notified that they would receive a communication to their Northeastern student email address within 7-10 business days.
CARES Act Report as of May 22, 2020
CARES Act Report as of July 2, 2020
CARES Act Report as of August 14, 2020
HEERF Quarterly Budget and Expenditure Report, Institutional Portion
HEERF Institutional Report as of October 27, 2020