In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, Student Financial Services will have adjusted hours: Wednesday, November 24: 8:30 a.m.–3:00 p.m. The office will be closed on Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26.

Regular office hours will resume on Monday, November 29.

Our regular operating office hours on the Boston campus are Monday: 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday: 8:30 am. – 5:00 p.m. To make an appointment with our office please visit the Student Services Portal or check our Support and Services page for additional information.

Please note that due to postal delays and current volume, the processing of mailed payments may be delayed. If you have mailed in a payment to the university, please continue to monitor your myNortheastern portal for updates.

For additional information about how Northeastern is addressing COVID-19, please visit this site.

Policies & Procedures

Student Refund Requests

All financial aid and loan funds that are deposited into a student account will be used to pay university charges first, including, but not limited to, tuition, fees, housing, health insurance, meal plan, and Husky Card charges. If your financial aid and loan funds total an amount that is greater than billed costs, after all university charges have been paid, you may be eligible to access the remaining credit balance in a student refund.

Before requesting a refund, all students are encouraged to enroll in direct deposit. Students who are enrolled in direct deposit will have their refunds deposited directly into the bank account on file, typically within 3 to 5 business days after the refund is processed. If you are not enrolled in direct deposit, your check will be mailed to you directly, which may take up to 10 to 14 business days. Before applying for a refund, please make sure your mailing address is accurate in your myNortheastern portal. Checks will not be held for pick up in the Office of Student Financial Services. 

Please note that if a credit card has been used to pay any portion of the amount due, the refund must be made first to that credit card. If the credit balance on the account exceeds the amount that was paid via credit card, these additional funds will be refunded by check or direct deposit.

How to Request a Refund

In order to request a student refund, you must submit a Student Refund Request form to the Student Accounts Office. The online request form is located under “Services & Links” on your myNortheastern portal.

Prior to submitting your Student Refund Request, please be sure to verify that you have an existing credit on your account. To do so:

  • Log into your myNortheastern portal
  • Choose “Services & Links”
  • Select “Student Account, Payment, and E-bill Information”
  • Choose the “View Account Summary Detail by Term” option

Please keep in mind that anticipated credits are funds that have not been received by the university, and therefore cannot be refunded.

If the credit balance in your account resulted from a Parent Loan (such as the Federal Direct Parent PLUS or MEFA loan) or the monthly payment plan, you will need to have a Refund Authorization Form on file with the Student Accounts Office before the check can be issued.

In some cases the Student Accounts Office may ask a Financial Aid Counselor to review your eligibility for a refund. You will be notified by email should this occur. Once your refund request is reviewed, an email will be sent to you with the status.

When to Request a Refund

Student refunds will not be available until after the start of the term, provided that there is an available credit on your account.

Refund Request Timeline

Refund requests are typically reviewed within 7 to 10 business days (please note that review periods will be longer during the start of term peak periods). Throughout the refund process, you will receive an email notification when the following occurs:

  • Your refund request is received and reviewed
  • If your refund request is under review with a Financial Aid Counselor
  • Your refund request has been approved

To streamline the refund request process, please keep the following in mind:

  • Please do not submit duplicate requests. Requests will be reviewed in the order that they are received.
  • Students are encouraged to request the full amount of their available credit in one refund request; please do not submit individual requests each month.

Off-Campus Housing

It is possible to use financial aid and alternative loan funds to pay for rent outside of the university. You will need to calculate the amount of funds you will need to cover your rent and utilities for the academic year in addition to your billed costs. If you need assistance with this, your Financial Aid Counselor will be happy to work with you to create a financial plan.

Please keep in mind that refunds are not issued until after the start of the term, especially if you need funds for the 1st of the month (such as in September, January, and May). For example, do not rely on fall term funds to pay September’s rent.

Law Students

For information about the Law School refund request process, please visit their website.